1. Chicago SummerDance Fest: If you never learned how to square dance, now is your chance. Every week through September, Chicago SummerDance Fest in Grant Park hosts free lessons ranging from swing, to country, to Irish folk dancing. Each event starts with an introductory, one-hour dance lesson by professional instructors followed by the opportunity to perfect your steps. Grant Park Spirit of Music Garden, 601 S. Michigan Ave.
2. Thodos Dance Company: Now in its 17th (and final) year, New Dances gives eight members of the Thodos Dance Company’s ensemble a chance to show off their contemporary dance choreography as a part of Chicago’s largest in-house choreography project. For its final year in production, company founder and Artistic Director, Melissa Thodos, will contribute a new work. July 15-16, times vary, tickets from $14, 2936 N. Southport Ave.
3. JUBA! Masters of Tap and Percussive Dance: Experience lively, rhythmic dance performances with the Chicago Human Rhythm Project’s 27th annual Rhythm World. The crown jewel of this year’s six-day festival, JUBA! Masters of Tap and Percussive Dance, will feature a variety of acts, including solo and group dances by current and former members of the CHRP, as well as the studio’s master teachers. July 21-22, 7:30PM, tickets from $25, Studebaker Theatre, 410 S. Michigan Ave.
4. Artango Bar & Steakhouse: This restaurant is a one-stop shop for date night. Take in dinner and a show on Friday nights with Sabor A Tango: live Argentine tango performances by professional dancers. Once you’re hooked on the energy and passion, express yourself during a free introduction to tango offered every Tuesday and Sunday or with one of the beginner lessons offered. Enchantment is guaranteed with this little slice of Buenos Aires. Lessons from $15, 4767 N. Lincoln Ave.
5. Dance For Life: Watch the city’s dance greats gather at the 26th annual Dance for Life Chicago. Experience works from premier dance companies like Giordano Dance Chicago, Hubbard Street Dance and The Joffrey Ballet as part of a sensational program benefitting the AIDS Foundation of Chicago and Chicago Dancers United’s Dancers’ Fund. August 19, 7:30PM, tickets from $15, Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Congress Parkway