1. FunkenhausenFront and center at this West Town standout are chef Mark Steuer's rotating schnitzels, and his most recent version features skate wing coated in a potato crust, resting on scallop brandade with leeks. 1709 W. Chicago Ave.
2. Coco Pazzo Assorted shellfish simmer in a seafood-tomato broth, then come to rest on a bed of 1-year-aged carnaroli rice for a seafood risotto ready to transport you straight to the Tuscan coast. 300 W. Hubbard St.
3. Gene & Georgetti After nearly eight decades, Chicago’s first steakhouse added a 45-day dry-aged, bone-in ribeye. Topped off with a Tuscan salt blend, garlic confit and grilled lemon, all it needs is a robust cabernet sauvignon to achieve perfection. 500 N. Franklin St.
4. Margeaux Brasserie This deconstructed pot pie is presented tableside, oozing with savory aromas. Lobster, cognac-truffle cream sauce and veggies simmer before your server peels the golden-brown crust from the copper pot and builds the dish on top, right before your eyes. 11 E. Walton St.
5. Virtue Prepared with sustainable seafood and served atop Carolina gold rice and beautiful barbecue carrots, this is the way blackened catfish was meant to taste—nutty, rich and delicious. 1462 E. 53rd St.
6. Proxi Tempura elote fritters mingle with grated Grana Padano cheese and Kewpie mayonnaise, delighting with bright notes of lime and chile pepper in each bite. 565 W. Randolph St.
7. Siena Tavern There’s a reason the gnocchi—swimming in a truffle-cream sauce with fried sage and pancetta—has been on the menu since day one: It's a favorite recipe of chef Fabio Viviani, handed down from his grandmother. 51 W. Kinzie St.
Photography by: z bar photo by grant kessler/z bar; Funkenhausen photo by Megan Sontag/funkenhausen | coco pazzo photo by matt savage/averyhouse | gene & georgetti photo by collin pierson/gene & georgetti | margeaux brasserie photo by neil burger/margeaux brasserie | virtue photo by barry brecheisen/virtue | proxi photo by paul strabbing/proxi | siena tavern photo by nathan michael/siena tavern