These five spots will delight Chicago oenophiles.
Owner Joe Fiely at Joe’s Imports
1. Bar Ramone A first-rate tapas place must have a bold range of wines available to match its menu. This River North spot delivers, with a truly international 100-plus bottle list. 441 N. Clark St.
2. Joe’s Imports After decades with beloved restaurant group Francesca’s, Joe Fiely was handed the reins to his own spot. He brought his passion with him, leading to what is likely the most exciting selection of glass pours in the city. 813 W. Fulton Market
3. The Press Room The red list at this subterranean West Loop spot is divided by varietal and priced for enjoyment. It’s a lovely complement to the smart food menu. 1134 W. Washington Blvd.
4. Benny’s Chop House Any steakhouse worth its finishing salt will have the First Growth and cult trophies on hand; Benny’s does that and more, with a great range of sparklers, pinots and Rhônes, and a Charlie Trotter alum tending the cellar. 444 N. Wabash Ave.
5. Rootstock Wine & Beer Bar This extraordinary place just turned 10, and the proprietors keep it going strong with an emphasis on natural and biodynamic jewels. 954 N. California Ave.
Photography by: BY ANTHONY TAHLIER